Contact Us

File a new or reopened claim for unemployment compensation

File your claim online at:

File an unemployment compensation claim by phone:

Phone: 1-866-234-5382
Monday through Thursday, 8 a.m. - 9 p.m.
Friday and Sunday, 8 a.m. - 5 p.m.
Closed Saturday

Contact us about an existing claim:

Phone: 1-800-361-4524
Call Sunday through Thursday at 5 p.m. to schedule a callback appointment for the following business day.

File or view the status of a weekly certification for unemployment compensation

File or view the status of a weekly certification at:


Phone: (334) 954-4094


Phone: (205) 458-2282

Toll Free

Phone: 1-800-752-7389

Report Fraud

To report unemployment compensation fraud:


To request copies of records from Information Disclosure:

Written information related to your unemployment claim may be requested as follows:

  • Complete a written, notarized request using the Individual Confidential Information Request Form (Form 480) located at
  • Each request must include a $10 money order (price subject to change).
  • Completed form and money order should be mailed to:
    ATTN: Central Cashier
    649 Monroe Street, Room 2684
    Montgomery, Alabama 36131-0001


Why File an Appeal?

If you feel that the decision of the Unemployment Compensation Division on a claim was based on incorrect or incomplete information, or that the law was not correctly applied, you may file an appeal in most cases. There are some determinations for which no appeal rights are granted. You cannot appeal in the following situations, and should contact the Unemployment Compensation Division to address these issues:

  • Nonpayment of benefits for a waiting week as determined by unemployment insurance law
  • Pending eligibility issues
  • Pending weekly certification errors
  • Request to backdate effective date of claim or weekly certification before a determination is made
  • Income tax intercepts for recoup outstanding overpayments

Who May File an Appeal?

Appeals of the decisions of the Unemployment Compensation Division may be filed by either the claimant or employer. All appeals must include the claimant’s full name with last four digits of the Social Security number, reason for appeal, and a signature of the requestor. Please note the following:

  • The employer appeal must briefly state the specific reason for the claimant’s separation from work.
  • The claimant should continue to file timely weekly claim certifications for each week that you remain unemployed. Should the hearing officer rule in your favor on the issue under appeal, you will only be paid for those weeks that you timely certify your unemployment status and meet all other eligibility requirements of the Law.
  • Appeals are processed in the order of receipt whether received through the online portal, fax, mail or in-person.


This webpage is to be used exclusively for appealing a determination on an unemployment compensation claim. It is not to be used for responding to the Tax Division on a Form Ben-8B Notice of Benefit Charges.

If you need additional information about filing an appeal click here.

¿Habla Español?

If you believe your personal information has been used to file a fraudulent claim or you know of someone filing a fraudulent claim.

If you believe a current or former employee has filed a fraudulent claim.

Please report the fraudulent claim information here.

Please select the type of appeals filing that you would like to file: